Sunday, January 27, 2008

Serenades


Friday was Women's Day in Honduras, and most schools make a big fuss about it. At my school, we have about 15 women on staff, and an unbalanced 5 men. There were flowers and cake and speeches. Earlier that morning, I got up at 4 a.m. to meet two other teachers, Rodrigo and Ronmel, in a borrowed taxi cab. It rained the night before, and leaving my house in a hurry, I slipped off of my porch and fell into a stack of roofing tiles down below, breaking a few. I was fine. Ronmel brought his guitar and lyrics to songs with him. Our mission was to sing serenades to all the women from school.

It was a silly affair, due to our lack of sleep and tiptoeing around houses. We ruined some perfectly good songs that morning, but I think that's part of the fun. Spanish love songs are ridiculous by means of exaggeration, and it's hard not to laugh when you're singing about roses at dawn. We would serenade outside of the gate, and then run to the cab, giggling and dodging puddles.

I really like all of the teachers at this school. They are impressive people, and it's exciting and different to share these times with them.

2 comments:

jo ouzts said...

thanks for writing, it's a delight to read.
hope you are well

jo

go2016 said...

glad to hear you are taking in the sweet moments when you can.